Monday, March 1, 2010

Vindication!

It is a beautiful, blue-sky day in Philadelphia. Not spring here, mind you, but the sun is shining and the temperature is well above freezing. I think most people are exhaling a big sigh of relief.

I was listening to NPR (National Public Radio) this morning and heard a program about Philadelphia that made me want to leap out of my chair. Vindication!!! I have lived in Philadelphia for 5 months now and have struggled to nestle into this city, often feeling overwhelmed by the extreme poverty and violence that plagues the area. I have thought to myself, "Are you just grouchy because moving to a new place is always challenging and this winter has been especially cold?"

I moved to Philly during the World Series and I quickly discovered that Philadelphia HATES New York City. I was turned off immediately by my new neighbors who expressed, what seemed to me, inexplicable boisterous pride in their city. As I looked around I kept thinking, "What is so great about Philadelphia? Polluted rivers, high crime rates, very few accessible green spaces and parks..."

While I have come to find all kinds of charm in this new place, the radio program I heard offered a profile that helped make sense of my strong reaction. Let me give you a brief profile of Philly:

I moved to Philadelphia, a very poor city, in what has been the greatest recession since the Great Depression and since moving here I have only heard about State and City budget cuts for the poor.
- Only 66% of our high school students graduate
- The Philly School District averages 12,000 truancies a day
- 21% of our city budget is spent on prisons
- Last year there were 303 murders and 1400 shootings
- We are the third poorest urban area in the country (Detroit and Cleveland are the first and second)

It is no wonder that I have been overwhelmed by this place. There are parts of the city that are literally burned out and represent 50 years of specific choices: the choice to abandon, the choice to ignore, the choice to turn our back on the most vulnerable. I am not sure that I will ever grow to love this city, but at least I have a better understanding of its wounds. Perhaps a compassion will continue to grow as I do my best to help bring healing, even in small ways, in my work. I'm dreaming up a literacy program and look forward to partnering with the city in some good advocacy work. We shall see what comes.

I leave for South Africa and Zambia in two weeks! Hip hip hooray for a refreshing homecoming! The world is a big, beautiful place full of beautiful people. Excited to be reminded of that in new ways this month!

3 comments:

  1. Just caught your post during my lunch time reading. In spite of all the "challenges" of your new city, I think it's a very good sign that you repeatedly refer to Philly as "our City" and "We." Small symbols that you are embracing (if not loving) a place that so needs your light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love alissa's comment...! so very true...

    and glad you're going home in two weeks as well. :)

    love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. enh, new york just has bigger playgrounds for the rich. The flash and excitement of NYC doesn't usually mean the bronx or queens, but though philly has areas comparable to those places, we have no Manhattan. of course, I prefer brooklyn anyway, which has both nice and horribly scary. which may be why I like it. and philly.

    ReplyDelete