Friday, March 5, 2010

Context is everything

According to this Algerian guy I met today I look European. I, of course, pretended that this was not incredibly flattering. I generally think of Europeans as more sophisticated than I am, so I secretly loved the compliment. I wonder why I think this?

This eager young medical student was quite “hands on”—very bold for a stranger—and wanted to buy me a cup of coffee. I feigned a very busy afternoon. I tend to be more daring and interested in hanging out with strangers when I am traveling. I probably should have just had a cup of coffee with the guy.

My friends Stephanie and Elizabeth and I went to a flower show yesterday. Steph made me laugh out loud when she said, “Falling in love in Philadelphia would be like eating crème brule in the bathroom.”

Context is everything.

We laughed as we imagined a romantic walk along the polluted Schuylkill River or eating cheesesteaks at an Eagle’s game. Not my cup of tea. Philadelphia lovers would say I am being a brat right now and remind me of all the lovely things in this city, inncluding jazz on Friday nights at the art museum and a fantastic Rodin museum I have yet to see.

But tonight I will babysit for my friends Becky and Andy. No romance for me this evening.

Context is everything.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, but by babysitting you are the facilitator of romance. I had a conversation with Carroll and Peg yesterday that made me think of you! I hope you are doing well my friend. The PNW and the Hallgren's miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am confused, would a date in new york mean dirty water dogs at a yankees game? actually...dirty water dogs would be the best part of a yankees game so maybe that's a bad comparison. of course, if i said mets game...well thats just not fair is it. and I certainly won't say giants cause i don't think people who actually live in new york like the giants. what i will say is...A date involving cheese steak empanadas would be magical

    ReplyDelete
  3. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO on sports, Liamface. Theater, Coney Island, stroll in Central Park, Greek food in Queens, free ferry ride to/from Staten Island, free dancing/opera/theater in the park and Lincoln Center in the summer, etc, etc, etc. ETC.... :-) Although, steak empanadas sounds delish! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. carmen, you silly muffin, I hate sports. YOU were the one who boiled my city down to an eagles game. I was simply returning the favor. sides, except for the ferry ride there are similar experiences all of this place

    ReplyDelete