Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Life in my imagination

Sometimes I wonder if I am better at fake life than real life? I am not talking about those obsessive virtual games that consume some people (google "virtual life" and you will see what I am talking about). But I am thinking more about the life I lead in my imagination. On days when Philadelphia is hard, when I am dog tired and feeling insecure, I think about all the more interesting and useful things I could be doing in the world. For example, "I could be traveling through Europe or doing substantive acts of justice somewhere in Africa." A friend posted a picture of Istanbul on his facebook page today and I thought, "Why am I not going on a romantic little getaway with someone? Turkey seems nice." The day to day monotony of life can be difficult. I often experience moments of deep joy and satisfaction, but I seem to be missing that elusive existential peace.

Is restlessness a universal trait?

This week I visited with my wonderful friends, the Faucett family. They are living/working in Thailand and we had a little picnic here at the manse one evening. Four-year-old Anna Faucett asked me for a cup of milk. I found a mug in the kitchen and poured her a glass. She stood with her hands on her hips looking around and said, "You don't have much nice stuff here, do you?" I laughed out loud and said, "No Anna, we don't have much nice stuff here." She is right, you know.

Unearthing hope in a building, in a church, in a heart or mind is never easy. But maybe that is why we are given imagination. Imagination paves the way for possibility.

Some pics from the newly transformed parlor. And yes, I chose one of the most flattering pictures of myself because the authors of blogs are allowed to do such things.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Carmie, don't listen to Anna. I think you have a lot of great stuff. Especially that huge heart of gold that you have. Thanks for spending time with us. I wish we could have had more, but we will save it for next time. Who knows where we will see each other again. You are such a joy to be around and I feel very grateful to call you my friend. Love Breathly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me - my imaginary life is much more glamorous that the real deal as well. The imaginary one includes a lot more travel, sun, sleep, well tested muscles, and expanded culture than the real one. But not as much chocolate, bedtime stories, or whispers of "I love you mom" at 5:30 AM... so maybe the real one isn't so bad.

    That couch picture is STUNNING!

    And a Moby Wrap (google it) is the baby-wearing miracle. I love it, but as is our specialty here in the US, it's way more complicated than the simple techniques used throughout the developing world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imaginary life is necessary for survival, I think. So enjoy it as much as you want, girlie- so that your heart stays sweet and you can be refreshed to press on with the real thing- as dreary as it can be. Spring is around the corner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a vintage Betty Draper pose on that couch.

    ReplyDelete