Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hanging in the airport

Aaaaah, free WiFi. Thank you random nice airport worker who gave me a coupon for free internet service! I am sitting in the Dulles International airport in Washington D.C. and am feeling thoroughly chipper. The sun is shining and in about 18 hours I will be in beautiful South Africa.

The flight between Philadelphia and D.C. was one of those small shuttles, so I sat chattered with a nice commuter throughout the flight.

The flight attendant seemed especially young to me. Every time she shut one of the overhead compartments she would run her right hand through her hair, carefully arranging a neat flip at the end. It was a quick gesture and one she seemed to do unconsciously. It made me wonder if I do this or if this is a habit relegated to the young. I will try to notice if I do this.

More interesting blogs ahead. I promise. The next two weeks will be full of adventure. I am now off to Ben and Jerry's for a big scoop of ice cream. I have this thing about "last meals" at the airport. I know it ridiculous, but before most flights I indulge myself in something sweet thinking to myself,"Well, this could be your last meal..."

Hopefully I do not die in a fiery crash, but if I do I will at least have had one last scoop of delicious chocolate goodness.

Wishing you a lovely day wherever you are.

4 comments:

  1. Ben and Jerry's!! yes!! Have a great time in Africa. I want to go back. Next time you make it to Seattle let Mandy and I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I am pretty sure you did not go down in a fiery crash, I can comment. I hope will remember your need for a "last meal" and share that the next time someone says, "Tell me something about yourself." For some reason, I think it really sums up a lot of your personality - planning ahead, melodramatic at times, realist, and yet able to find a reason to indulge in the beautiful of every situation. I can just hear you saying, "Might as well grab some ice cream in case I go down in fiery crash." Love it.

    (and why is fire spelled F-I-R-E, but Fiery is not FIREY? English is dumb.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmie, Carmie, Carmie, who loves you the most? We love you the most.

    ReplyDelete