Thursday, February 11, 2010

4 days, 4 feet, 4 degrees wind chill

I am feeling giddy. Giddy, I tell you! I leave for South Africa and Zambia in 33 days. The amount of work that needs to get done between now and then is ridiculous, but my excitement will not be diminished!

I will be traveling to the Southern coast of South Africa to marry my friends Gharde and Jaco (pictured here). We spent a fabulous four days together last year when I was in South Africa and I am delighted that I get to play a role in this special event. There are some amazing parts of my job and weddings are just one of them.

Snowpocalypse, SnOMG, Snow Spectacular have been the themes of the week. Two major snow storms in just four days. We have had about 4 feet of snow in total, which is a rarity in this part of the world. Too bad I do not own a pair of galoshes or water-proof boots. I have looked comical walking down the street in an assortment of atypical winter-wear.

I am not a big fan of cold weather. For those of you who know me well, you know I like to be cuddly warm all the time and subconsciously find a heat source in a room no matter where it is located. Fireplace in the room? I will be standing in front of it. Forced-air heating? I will be standing on top of it. Sitting on a couch with me on a cold day? If you are comfortable I will likely tuck my toes under your legs (my sister hates this and never allows me).

Here are a few shots from the recent snow storms. These pictures aren't particularly beautiful, but gives you a sense of the last week of my life!

3 comments:

  1. The east is getting killed by snow! Crazy! we haven't had any this season in Seattle! I'll have to drive my kids to the mountains to play in the snow...but not until I get back from this sunny, gorgeous, paradise called Hawaii :-) Okay, that was a little mean. Love you Car! So excited you are going to South Africa in just a month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit, I was a little confused to read that you would be doing the wedding cermony. I mean, don't you need to be an old grey-haired guy to do that? How wonderful that people I knew and grew with are now in such esteemed positions. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to Zambia--that sure is one way to get away from the snow! I'm so happy for you, Carmen. It's perfect! I look forward to reading about it.

    (Did you actually survive a winter in slushy New York City without waterproof footwear?

    ReplyDelete