Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sanskrit Envy

I was annoyed at yoga tonight. People were making jokes in sanskrit. SANSKRIT! I have been doing this Vinyasa class, a type of yoga that focuses on breath and movement, but to my surprise, tonight we had a substitute that had us do loads of hand stands and head stands and told jokes in sanskrit. What?!?! I like her, though. And I like that we did work with a partner. I had my hands on my partner's inner thighs and gripped around her waste at various times and I really wanted to burst out laughing at the awkwardness of this!

Needless to say, there was no meditating for me tonight. Sorry Norbert!

It crossed my mind that this is probably the way that many people feel when they walk into church on a Sunday morning if they aren't regular church-goers. "What is going on? What are these weirdos talking about?"

There are things that I cannot write about on a public blog site because one of my responsibilities as a pastor is to hold sacred certain intimate events and stories that people share with me.

This is a bummer because there are some beautiful things I wish I could tell you about today. It was hot in New York. I wore a dark suit and I could feel sweat bead up on my lower back as I took part in a funeral service. Young one's lost their mother and once again I was reminded that life can come to a close so unexpectedly, so quickly. And death brings such stillness. Even to those that are still living. I am glad that a small thread of the life of this family is now woven into my own story.

I am going to drink a coke and spend some time writing, waiting for the summer storm that is supposed to arrive later this evening. Here's to you and here's to yours. Love to you from New York. Life would be spectacularly drab without you.

4 comments:

  1. I smiled. Thanks for this mention in your text.
    I did a apprenticeship - just for me - to an old very impressive experience, when I was a young men in an monastary by an franziskanian monk. That was "Eutonie". And one principle from thie form of body work was: "What are you touching, is touching you" (don´t know, if this is a right translation, but I hope you feel, what I mean)
    and so: there´s a point of no-thought, in every situation, what ever you do - it can be totally meditation.

    Greetings to you !!
    Norbert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to all readers for the bad english. I´m sure some must sound funny. I think it´s not all correct ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your English is fantastic, Norbert. Perfectly easy to understand!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy english! That´s the only chance, I have :-))
    Thank you !!
    Norbert

    ReplyDelete