Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Boston

I feel like death warmed over. It will pass, but I just got back from the gym and am certain of two things: one, I am dehydrated; two, I am out of shape. Since August my work-out schedule has been sporadic at best. Tonight I planned to slip into the back of an aerobics class, but accidentally entered the wrong room and found myself in a one-on-one cardio and weight training session. Eeesh. Afterward I sat in the locker room with a towel over my head concentrating on not being sick.

I walked home tonight and paused in the middle of a cross-walk, caught off guard by an overwhelming urge to call my mother. That hasn't happened in a long time. I miss my mother's advice and compassion these days. She was a wise one. I have a box full of letters she sent me when I was in college that are are organized by date. I think I will find one marked November 23rd and read it tonight with an appropriate nightcap. Tea.

I had a lovely weekend in beautiful Boston where lobster reigns and young, good-looking brainiacs hang out in Harvard bars (pronounced 'Hahvahd'). My friend Stephanie and I spent two gorgeous fall days traipsing around the city with our friend and host Adam who recently moved to Boston from Philly. We took a night bus, so we were delirious and ridiculous by the time we arrived. I like Stephanie. She has the capacity to be sparkly and zesty and hilarious and she is also deeply reflective and wise. Adam is a cool cat. He wears designer sunglasses, has excellent taste, a wicked sense of humor, and a tremendously generous spirit. These are good people. I am lucky to know them.







In two short days we will be celebrating my favorite holiday. I will be heading to Princeton to be with good friends for a couple of days and look forward to some long walks, some lawn games if the weather plays along, and ridiculously good food. Happy Thanksgiving to you, dear friends.

4 comments:

  1. Me too, Peg. Me too!! Tears, tears of love and joy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the jumping pics!! So awesome!
    My thoughts are with you and all souls of passing away moms! I feel so sorry for you! I must think of the wonderful book "Bananenfüße" (literally: banana feet) from Milena Moser. Unfortunately it's not translated. The only book from her in English that I can find is "Corpse Pose". I guess it can be similarly.
    "Bananenfüße" starts with the explanation, beeing death feels like wearing shoes upside down - like bananas, you know? I like this image from the mother, sitting in the apple tree and watching and taking care of her family.
    Kisses and hugs from freezing Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warmest wishes to you Carmen. Can't wait to see you again! <3

    ReplyDelete