Monday, May 17, 2010

Getting Saved

I just reread my blogpost from Saturday and chuckled as I thought, "For God's sake Carmen, so melodramatic!" That first line from Shakespeare's Richard III comes to mind: Now is the winter of our discontent.

I've never read that play, by the way, but what a great line.

A new work week has begun and I am feeling much more cheerful. On the way to a meeting this morning I had two different people stop me to hand me a tract and ask if I had been saved. European friends, you are going to think this is insane and I imagine it would be rather shocking if something like this happened to you on a Monday morning in say, Stockholm or Zurich. But this was not especially surprising. I took both tracts, smiled and said thank you. I know these people truly have my best in mind even if I think it is a rather weird way of showing it. I suppose I could have stopped to engage one of these strangers, perhaps saying something like, "To be honest, I feel like I am saved, or rescued, on a regular basis." Belly-aching laughter has saved me from all kinds of despair. I had a cup of coffee with an old friend from college who knows all kinds of crazy things about me and still likes me. Friendship saves people all the time.

I know these people are probably worried about my eternal salvation, worried that I'll be turned away from the pearly gates. But I'm not so worried about the pearly gates these days. If there is a God, which I happen to believe, I think God is pretty interested in our todays. God is probably pretty sad about this oil spill. Doesn't like the violence that ravages homes and entire countries. God is busy delighting in all kinds of births and new loves and still probably gets excited about the sun rising and setting day in and day out.



Funny Americans.

I have some fun things planned in the coming weeks. Going camping in North Carolina (what up, Southern states!?!? Stoked to check you out!) and I get to spend a week at home with the fam in early June. I cannot wait. I plan to hold baby Alissa as much as possible.

Wishing you all kinds of joy and love today!

1 comment:

  1. I think your recent posts just show that you are really living and allowing yourself to experience life and be real about it. All of it. Highs and lows. I think that's how God wants us to live - engaged and present - just like you described his care and concern for our todays. (love that!)

    I wonder my chances of finding myself in the Portland area in early June...

    ReplyDelete