Thursday, May 13, 2010

The birthday girl

I love that 16 year-olds still call me for advice. Last night I had an exchange about prom with a girl who is now officially half my age and needed some non-parental wisdom. Young people are the best.

This week I turned 32. I am glad 31 is over. Not my best year. My good friends Becky and Andy threw me a birthday party and I was reminded again that I know some pretty wonderful people. My friend Bill celebrated my birthday with a "Church Lady Cake" and I received some wonderfully kind birthday notes. I was given poetry and flowers and dainty napkins to add to my collection (for the hospitality I will extend someday when I have a kitchen again).

Tonight I went to the gym and came home and ate a microwave dinner. It was a less-than-glamorous evening. I spent some time pondering the Quaker meeting I attended on Wednesday morning, skyped with my nephews, and wasted time on facebook. One year ago at this time I was in New York. Two years ago at this time I was in Zambia. Three years ago at this time I was graduating from Princeton. This year? I am eating microwave dinners in Philadelphia! Ha!

Amidst all my foolish whining, I am reminded that I have all kinds of agency and I better do well with what I have been given. I am not losing a house, no coup to contend with (Madagascar), no unexpected teenage pregnancy, no surprise affair and divorce (all situations I have encountered in some way this week). Life can be tough, but life can be sweet and worth savoring. That is what I plan to do today. Day 4 of being 32: savor. And do SOMETHING worthwhile and meaningful for someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment