Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The weather is a'changin'

It looked like fall today. The sky was a beautiful blue, the trees are still green and lush, but something has shifted. The light looked different all day, more golden. It is no longer summer. The mornings and evenings are crisp and the humidity has disappeared. I love this time of year. I have missed autumn for the last two years (Southern Africa has different seasons and fall is not one of them), so I can hardly wait for pumpkins, hot apple cider, a tromp through the woods atop brown crunchy leaves, and eventually waking to frosty mornings.

On Sunday our softball team played in the championship game. Softball became a highlight of the summer. I love team sports and softball is full of camaraderie. I loved leaning into a chain link fence and cheering on new friends, learning new skills and lingo, and going out to the dive bar afterward for beers. The team is full of good-hearted people. I will miss heading to Central Park to play with this eclectic crew.

3 comments:

  1. And....uh....what was the result of the championship game? I'm with ya on that fall feeling! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, we lost the game!!! It was a tight game-- both teams played well. We lost 3-4. But then we had a great party afterward and parties, in my humble opinion, are often good salve for the soul. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun you were on a softball team!! I enjoy the fall, but I am having a hard time letting summer go....maybe it has something to do with the pending rain that will settle in for the next 6 months.

    ReplyDelete