Saturday, September 5, 2009

Home sweet... erh... boxes?

It was a beautiful day today. Woke up early, opened up the windows, and decided to get to it: time to pack up. I move to Philadelphia next weekend, but won't have much time for packing during the week.

Yesterday was fan-tas-tic. Got my haircut in a Ukrainian neighborhood on the lower east side, walked over to the Village to pick up some coffee beans from Israel that friends have been raving about (seems like a cool gift for my cousins who I will be visiting in Denmark in a couple of weeks), ate Thai food for lunch, walked through Chinatown and Little Italy on my way to the Brooklyn Bridge (sharpie in hand for some very necessary graffiti) and then ended up in the financial district for kicks. I am trying to soak up as much of this town as possible-- trying to memorize it. I love that within a few square miles you can literally encounter people from every corner of the globe.

The house is looking sparse. Most everything is now packed up and it feels good to look at my pile of boxes and know that in 31 years I have really not accumulated all that much stuff. Yes, yes, yes, I am a typical American woman with plenty of shoes and clothes (embarrassing, really), but all in all, not too much to tie me down. I like this.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Savor your time. One thing I love about NYC is the constant change of scene - ethnicity, smells, stores, languages -- so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is bittersweet to leave isn't it! All the fun places you used to frequent and all the new friends. But, all that is waiting in store for you in Philly. Good luck with the move and transition.
    Love
    Brett

    ReplyDelete