Monday, September 21, 2009

On the Road Again...

It is a windy, rainy night here in Bergen on the western coast of Norway. I am crawling into bed late after a long, leisurely dinner with a lovely Norwegian family who was eager to talk politics, culture, and food (as to be expected when new friends come to town). When I was living in Zambia I met a collection of Norwegian friends (pics and stories can be found in my "Ramblings from Zambia" archive) and the family of my friend Kristin is hosting me for the next couple of days.

For the last five days I have been traipsing around Copenhagen and Southern Sweden with my cousins and we have packed in as much sight-seeing as possible. My cousin Katherine is a secondary-school teacher in Denmark and I was invited to come and lecture in 4 classes, introducing the students to "Religion in America." At first I thought I was going to be a zoo animal on display (U.S. religion is bewildering to our Danish friends), but we quickly found lots to talk and laugh about as we shared our cultures with one another. I love teaching and teaching high school students is especially fantastic. I love that freshly picked apples are set out on the dining table of the teacher's lounge. I love that students call their teachers by their first name. I am fascinated by the fact that most of these students know next to nothing about religion. I love the rolling hills of rural Denmark, the canals around Copenhagen, the fresh bread and cheese and tea... but I am saying nothing unique here. Everyone loves these things about Europe.

There is lots more to share, but I am weary, so a few pictures will have to do for now.

5 comments:

  1. you are SO in your element...

    especially in that classroom pic.

    love you, darlin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my Dad's family (somewhere back there) is from Bergen! I should have you on the look-out for "Boettchers" while you are there. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Car! And what side of the fam is your cousin/teacher? And I agree with the other comment...you look so in your element...the classroom, the world traveler, the smile on your face! Miss you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave and I were in Denmark and Norway over the summer and loved it. Your photos took me back. Beautiful people and stunning fjords. If you haven't tried the ice cream dipped in nuts, it's pretty awesome. -Rollo

    ReplyDelete