Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reasons why the world might not be so bad

This place warms my heart. It is just two blocks from where I live and tonight I spent a couple hours here drinking coffee (courtesy of David Hallgren, thank you very much). I spent some time writing and researched a few new job opportunities. Does 44 inches of snow a year sound like a legitimate reason for NOT applying?

This cozy neighborhood coffee shop boasts delicious "pay what you can" pastries and beverages. I got sucked into Youtube this afternoon-- seriously spent an hour and a half perusing Mark Driscoll sermons (I do not understand why this guy is the MOST downloaded preacher in the world-- enlighten me if you must). I needed to get out of the house, so I took the dog on a walk and found myself here.

One of my favorite bloggers is Annie Parsons and she has something called "Bosom Friend Fridays' (reference not lost on Anne of Green Gables fans). I have decided that today is "Reasons Why The World Might Not Be So Bad Wednesday(s?)." The title is too long, but never mind that.

Here it is- reasons why the world might not be so bad, this fine Wednesday afternoon:
1) Yoga studios and coffee shops where you pay what you can
2) New friends
3) Old friends (that know how awful you are and still like you)
4) Boyfriends who find ways to play Words With Friends in the middle of nowhere to appease neurotic girlfriends
5) People who help make the world more gentle and passionate and beautiful
6) The story about Margaret Shoop playing air guitar for The Edge

Okay, that's all I can think of because it has been THAT kind of day. Feel free to add to the list. Would love to chew on your nuggets of inspiration as well.

4 comments:

  1. hmmmm.....
    1. fun housemates
    2. that SAME great coffee house
    3. seeing old friends in far-away places

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Great friends who make you feel good, encourage you and make you want to be a better person. ;)
    2. Pedicures
    3. Seeing someone in the car next to you singing loudly to the radio.
    4. Little decorated cans that moo when you tip them over.
    (I deleted the first one because it had a typo and I hate typos.) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey carmen,
    sorry for blog-stalking you - am stuck at the hospital forever and am a little bored. anyway - wanted to get in on the listing of un-horrible things in the world:
    1. a lone sunflower blooming along my walk to work
    2. having my pager not beep for almost 90 minutes.
    3. oversized cups full of sangria and/or tequilla.
    4. not having anyone die on my shift.

    also, a friend gave me a book called "one thousand gifts" that looks super cheesy and like something i would normally throw out a window but was actually quite good - the woman attempts to name 1,000 gifts in her life, and wrestles through the quesstions of "if i can name this thing as a gift from god, what about the other things, the other moments, the ones that seem not from god at all?" your post reminded me a bit of her ideas.

    miss you - big hugs and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete