Sunday, July 31, 2011

Humdinger

Can you believe this is a word? Humdinger. It means "a remarkable or outstanding person or thing".

Clark=Humdinger

I am stressed out. Clark, from 1500 miles away, is good at encouraging me despite my erratic bouts of freaking out. Thanks, babe. I know I must make you mad as snakes sometimes.

In case you were curious, there are 2,316 ordained Presbyterian Professionals (pastors, christian educators, etc) officially looking for positions in the Presbyterian Church (example of said clergy pictured here). There are 495 positions posted. I have been referred to 51 of those positions. I have had 4 phone interviews and have been a finalist for 2 of those positions.

Anyone dumb as a doornail can see, the statistics aren't good.

So, I have been exploring using my gifts elsewhere. I have applied for university "gap program" coordinator positions, chaplaincy, and staff administrative positions. I would be eager to translate my gifts to global development programs with a non-profit or academic program. So far, no dice. In fact, I have had multiple people tell me, "I know this is bizarre and unfair profiling, but is there any way you can drop the church stuff from your resume? Universities are going to run from you."

BTW, look up the word "pastor" on google images sometime. Do it. It'll kill you.

According to NPR, I should have been a computer programmer or scientist. There are scads of positions available. Too bad I was always bound for the social sciences. I only passed high school physics because I convinced Garrett Barnum to build me a mouse-trap car.

The fact is this: I want to do meaningful work and that isn't easy to come by. I know this longing is nothing new under the sun. There are plenty of immigrants making beds at hotels or driving taxi cabs that would rather be doing something more MEANINGFUL. Well, maybe I have a new opportunity ahead: live a meaningful life and get a job to pay the bills. Sometimes work is work.

Peg got a couple of new cameras for a photography class she is teaching this fall and she is letting me borrow the beauties. I think I'll go out and snap myself some pictures. I might find a humdinger or two. It's possible. Anything is possible.

3 comments:

  1. Carmen, a couple of things...
    1. A Google Image search of "pastor Carmen Goetschius" turns up some real beauties.
    2. I'm sure that I only "assisted" you in building the mousetrap car, and I'm sure it got you an "A+" in the class.
    3. If you're looking for meaningful work, our church always has lots of openings to serve the Lord! Compensation doesn't pay the bills, but fills the soul... but I'm sure you know that in your line of work.

    We love you, Carmen. Good luck with the job search. You can beat the odds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it didn't work out for you and the position we had open at the time a few years ago in Denver. But my experience then with you as you worked with our committee tells me that in spite of the odds, a position that is right for your gifts will eventually come along. You have so much to give, and someone is going to figure that out soon.

    --Paul Day-Lucore

    P.S. Yes, I do occasionally still visit your blog, 'cause it's some of the best writing I know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Carmen,

    What is it with our family and meaningful work? My husband is a computer programmer with a nice salary and a comfortable work environment and I wonder if by enjoying the stability his job provides me, I'm letting him be corrupted. Like I should encourage him to find some "meaningful work" too, because it is just so great to have "meaningful work." You know how much easier it would be if we just gave up on "meaningful" and went for "money" instead? Enough ranting, I must get back to planning enriching, motivational lessons for my students. argh...

    ReplyDelete