Monday, December 6, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside

I regularly bring some work with me to the Starbucks at Chestnut Street and 19th, a few blocks from my house. They have particularly cheerful baristas and a loft with comfortable chairs and tables. The loft is often full of scads of well-dressed college students alongside homeless people who have found a warm reprieve and rest. I like this Starbucks because no one is ever asked to leave, whether or not they are paying customers. The weather took a sharp turn today and it is bitter cold outside. No snow yet, but the wind is piercing. There is a woman sitting across from me, a worn Bible in her lap, and she has wedged herself comfortably into the corner of a big chair, eyes closed, shoulders twitching in sleep. On occasion she paws around her lap for the bag of chips that sits precariously at her side. Breakfast of champions.

I stupidly (intentional adverb) used to refer to Starbucks as 'the man.' And while it is ridiculous that franchises are taking over the world, I have softened my verbage. When I was in the Doi Sutep Mountains in Thailand a few years ago, I drank coffee with villagers who sell their coffee to Starbucks, fair trade, and it seems that the whole enterprise is legit, improving the lives of the community. So, I toast my Americano to thee, O Starbucks. Thanks for providing some warmth and comfort for some folks.

4 comments:

  1. I'm drinking a medium light roast today. I'm thankful for places like this, inviting everyone to the "table." Cheers, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my first glance, I read that first sentence as though you had acquired a new job. =) Hoping those red cups will bring you (and others) some added joy this season. Funny how a tradition started by "the man" has become synonomous with the season. Although, I guess that's no different that the media showing the same holiday specials on TV each year. We watched Rudolf as a family this weekend - thanks CBS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alissa, oops! I just reread (and edited) my post-- I am not working for Starbucks-- just doing some church work at Starbucks! :-) Happy Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once read that the first bullet point on the Starbucks Barista Job Description was, "Learn your customers names and know what they like" I have had a crush on the company ever since, even though I don't drink coffee unless it's an after dinner with dessert.

    ReplyDelete