Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bits of this and that

"I want to do to you what spring does with the cherry trees. " --Pablo Neruda.

Hang out with this one for a little bit. Yowza.

Nobel Prize poets deserve more than yowza, but it is all I have at the moment. Forgive me, Mr. Neruda. I hope you know that it is because of you I love the white statues drowsing in the parks, 
the white statues that have neither voice nor sight...

This weekend I went to the Italian market with my friend Judith and we bought gorgeous cheeses and pasta and vegetables. It was a breezy, blue-sky day and every tree was heavy laden with pink blossoms. It was unimaginably perfect. I stopped multiple times to scoop up large handfuls of soft, pastel bliss. Even the drains along the streets were filled with pink petals rather than the normal decaying leaves and bits of trash. Aaaah, spring. Finally!

Here's something I've been thinking about today: technology (weird, I know). Technology has given us the gift of virtual friendship and community, but it has its limitations.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I love reading your blog and facebook posts. I like reading about your babies and your fears and joys, but don't worry, I know you do not share everything. I know you probably left out the part about being so jealous and angry this week that you threw the phone across the room. You probably left out the part about the nagging loneliness that plagues you at night and perhaps you left the part out about some insane delight you can't quite put into words. Well, for the record, I like you. For all the parts you share and all the parts you don't. Today I am grateful for spring and for asking boys out and friendship and new jobs and all the bits we share. And all the things we don't.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. And isn't technology funny in that I'm now going to comment on a comment you left me about a comment I made on someone else's blog: I will assure you that the pictures of me certainly look less than alive these days - and hence are not posted. As you said... there are things we just don't share. Sigh. And I have not thrown the phone, but am contemplating a post about nearly throwing a pizza last week. =)

    ReplyDelete