Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Twas the night before the night before

Twas the night before the night before Christmas and I am sitting on a chair in the bathroom next to the radiator because this is the warmest room in the house. I love to be toasty warm. A cold snap issued a snowstorm of epic proportions last week and I have tried to make time to enjoy it as much as possible. Someone built this snowman near my house and I find him absolutely charming. I thought he might brighten your day as well.

It is Advent, just two days before Christmas and strangely I do not feel deeply connected to the holiday this year. I wonder what that is all about? I put up a glorious Christmas tree downstairs, have helped lead weekly Advent services, lit plenty of candles, listened to lots of Christmas tunes (Baby it's Cold Outside and The River are two of the favorites this year). I have shared short meditations on the nearness of God, and yet, somehow if my heart had a rating it would likely be rated as ummm.... trying to find the right word here... subdued?

Subdued is not a typical "Carmen state of being."

But some seasons are like that.

I paused to notice the shape of the snowdrifts behind the church today. In the midst of the city, beneath the grand buildings, lie small mountains made up entirely of intricate flakes, blown and frozen into blankets of white, sublime and quiet.

Friends, all over the world, wishing you a good yule, a Merry Christmas, happy holidays, Frohe Weihnachten, God Jul, and all the rest. May your holiday be full of good food and good conversation, peace and joy!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining your thoughts, dear Carmen.
    The snowman ... :-)
    You have seen the snowman at Bayreuth, too :-)
    Thanks.
    Tommorrow, it will not be any longer.
    It´s getting a little bit warmer here ...

    Merry Christmas to you, Dear Carmen !

    Norbert

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth

    http://aboutetwas.blogspot.com/2009/12/postkarten.html

    I try to translate:

    Most problems free themselves by themselves,
    one may disturb them only not, besides.

    In German it sounds funny, and it makes sense
    :-)
    In english, i´m not sure, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Carmen! Love following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish you for your holidays and the new year lots of pleasant surprises, loads of happiness, a pinch of new unstressed and inspiring things a day and much of love and caring!

    ReplyDelete