Sunday, November 29, 2009

I dwell in poetry, a fairer house than prose…

I have been thinking about Emily Dickinson today. The recluse poet, one of the most famous poets of the English language, has a fascinating connection to the home where I live and the church where I currently serve. She wrote three beautiful letters, if not scandalous, to a man we know as “Master.” As voyeurs tiptoe across the intimate correspondence, a familiar tightness pulls across the chest and lips curl into a knowing smile. The letters are full of longing and desire and Charles Wadsworth, former minister here at Arch Street Presbyterian Church, may have been the intended recipient. This is the portrait of Wadsworth that hangs in the study outside the sanctuary. He is a fairly handsome fellow. But so serious. When looking at characters like this buttoned up minister, I struggle to imagine pure, ecstatic indulgence. Really, Emily? Maybe I need to expand my romantic imagination.

I am likely preoccupied with poetry tonight because I am well-rested after a much needed Thanksgiving vacation in Princeton with good friends. I ate too much, drank enough, played amusing games, and spent time with people who make me wiser and warmer.

This is the thing I like about poets: they notice the small things that most of us pass by without a second thought. Life is too short to live merely in prose, a landscape painted in counterfeit hues. I like the idea of drinking in the poetry of the world as it unfolds around us in magnificent, if not understated, scenes.

I bought a couple of books while I was in Princeton, one of which is a collection of poems by Billy Collins whom I will leave you with here. This is a naughty, excellent, complex little poem about Emily. The reading is a little Dickens-esque, English drippity-drab, but worth a listen.

Taking off Emily Dickinson's Clothes

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE fan of Emily Dickenson! This was a lovely post, Carmen. I always love looking at your pictures included on the sides. If I had time, and a better camera, I would do this too! I can imagine that we'd be fast friends, exploring our way thru the camera lens of your new city, unearthing the histories there.
    Could you please email me your address? I would love to hand-write you something sometime :)
    ~Cheri
    cherilscribner@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great story. It is strange to think that this guy might have inspired "Wild Nights! Wild Nights!" And do you know her "This was a Poet" poem? It's very similar in sentiment to what you're saying in this thoughtful and evocative post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete