Friday, October 28, 2011

Visiting the Land of Giants

“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.”
-Annie Dillard


Clark and I flew to California last week to visit the fabulous Smith family who recently moved to Fresno after 4 years living in Zambia. Among many fantastic adventures, they sent us to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park where we visited some of the largest trees on earth. As we drove to the park Clark mentioned multiple times, "You will want to hug these trees. They are irresistible."

It's true. As you wend your way along the hillside, perfectly carved out as a safe haven for these beautiful monoliths, you begin to think you are shrinking. The bark of these wise old trees are rust-red and unbelievably soft.

And of course, I couldn't help it. I stepped off the path multiple times to press my cheek into the bark.

The forest is a nice place to listen. There were times Clark and I whispered as if we were in a library. These trees are thousands of years old and reverence is required.

We climbed inside one tree whose hulking mass had been completely burned out on the inside, but was alive and flourishing against all odds.

I feel like singing that Phil Collins song now.


There is a small post office in the park. I hate that this itsy bitsy post office is rarely frequented, so I insisted we send some postcards and strike up a conversation with the postman. He told us all about bears and bobcats that periodically peer in his windows and it was fun to imagine his life in this sometimes-lonely national park.

Nothing like visiting the land of giants to reorient your perspective. Such a magical place.

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful!

    I´m so happy that I have seen this trees, too.
    In real life.

    ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog again...and realize I was your 12345th visitor! What's my prize? Glad to have this in my feed so I can stay a bit in touch as your journey unfolds. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitively another place I would like to see with all my heart; I do love this wonderful world where we are hosted like Children of the most amazing Father; thank you for sharing!
    ciao
    God bless you
    br.Freddie

    ReplyDelete