Monday, October 18, 2010

To Princeton and Back Again

I read a lot of blogs of women my age who are married with children. On occasion I feel weird that I cannot relate to mortgages, dirty diapers, and kiddie soccer games. When I see pictures of spectacularly beautiful children and anniversary celebrations I get that 7th grade feeling -- standing on the side of a gym, lights dimmed, pop music throbbing in the background, wondering if Kevin Ramonis is going to ask me to slow-dance. I'm the awkward outsider that buys shoes and gears up for lame dates and drags in my own groceries-- scads of dinners for one. This does not make me feel sad. My journey has other riches, as my friend Scotty reminded me this weekend. My life is rich, indeed. Not much money, but when I've gone down I've gone down big. And when I've won I've won big. I'm no magician, but I know magic. I have tasted and felt it.

We've had different journeys, but I find that blogs are the great equalizer. Best described as "online scrap-booking," I have a slew of favorite writers who share tidbits about their lives and somehow I feel close to them despite the miles.

This weekend I went apple-picking. Autumn is my favorite time of year and October is especially delicious. I love pulling on a sweater and a scarf. I love drinking hot apple cider and the unique golden light that brightens crisp cornstalks and flaming red leaves. I drove up to Princeton to meet my old friend Scott. I met Scott when I was 19 and full of idealism and dorky ideas about the world. Old friends provide good orientation and it was nice to ease into a seamless conversation that has been going on well over a decade. Scott came to Philadelphia on Sunday. He had not been to church in awhile and had never seen me in a leadership position. He said there were multiple times during the service he wanted to stand up and say, "Carms, come down from there."

Me too, my brother! Me too.

Church can be so very strange and even a little disappointing at times. It is not always the community it should be. After I waved goodbye to Scott on Sunday I hurried to change my clothes for a funeral. As I stood at the graveside of a young man who left this world far too early, I was reminded again of the sweetness of friendship-- those people who help us tell our stories. There was a group of Boy Scouts who grew up together and cried tears of grief at the grave of their dear friend. The weather was kind and someone whispered to me after the service, "I am glad you do this job." I pondered this for awhile. I'm not sure that I always agree, but If nothing else, I hope I will always be a good witness. A good witness, a good storyteller, and someone who treasures the stories of others.

Thank you for sharing yours.

9 comments:

  1. This is the best thing I've read in a long time, Carmen; a good witness, indeed.

    You know Frost's "After Apple Picking," right? A lot of it doesn't really apply here, but I couldn't help thinking about the line when he says, "There were ten thousand thousand fruit to touch, cherish in hand, lift down, and not let fall." Thanks for letting us see some of what you've been cherishing and not letting fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, when I read of the richness you have been experiencing these last few years, I am getting the same 7th grade feeling. Thank you for filling my soul with beautiful thoughts at the end of my day. I, too, am glad you do this job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you, my friend are in the right place. I'm with JC - stunning piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life my friend, is lived in so many ways. Like the landscape of Kaikoura - snow capped mountains, smooth rock beaches, friendly people and wine with a friend. It's the witnessed and experienced view that is both breathtaking and uniting! So glad I can both witness your life and share a glass of wine with you! LU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen, you are causing me to miss autumn days at home. I love your writing...you are gifted in so many ways. God bles you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once you wrote that only six people read your blog. Which I didn't believe then nor now. Well, here is your 7th comment, my dear.
    Beautiful words and musings from a beautiful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that I get your perspective on life, and that I can see things through your eyes. There are many a starry night that my husband and I sit and dream about what our lives would be like as 30-somethings without kids. We are always individuals, even when we are overshadowed by new life. I'm glad that you are rich in your experience and joy. I very much look forward to sharing a hot cup of coffee with you someday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post, my friend! I for one am very glad you do the work you do. And I'm grateful that you went apple picking with Scott so that we could all enjoy a cozy fall meal together. You are wonderful. Hope you're having great week!

    ReplyDelete